Friday, January 16, 2009

Pathetic



An ill-tempered squirrel has been eating my bbq cover. I saw him perched on top of it the other day, gnawing away at the plastic/cotton tarp. I was about to shoo him away when I realized how pathetic he was. His ears were clipped at the top as if he had been in some squirrel rumble that had cost him his ears. Like he and some other rival gang of squirrels had found a stash of nuts and had fought to the death for sole rights. He lost the nuts. He lost the tops of his ears, and now the only "food" he can find is my barbecue cover. Isn't that pathetic? It's not even real food like a plant or an old chicken bone - it's furniture.
So I let him gnaw - even though I know it's ridiculous to extend a kindness to a rodent. His constant presence is also driving the cats to the brink of insanity. I think they might want to get rid of the last bits of his ears. Those bitches. They're cute, though. I like to think they're not actually hunting but rather huddling together because they're in love. I know I am.

4 comments:

Jeff Scott said...

I think it's sweet. Don't get me wrong: the whole thing screams a bit of lesbianism, but I'm cool with that too.

Emeline said...

In love with the vermin eating you rubber/plastic sheeting?
I'm sure you will make a lovely life together.

Ellen Victoria said...

Love the photo of Minou and Monkey. Too cute.
PS: Marc is flying to Toronto today. xox

Lintfay said...

ill-tempered squirrel rumble are three words (four?) that I want to hear EVERY DAY OF MY LIFE. That, and "Hi Duddy, I'm home"

XOXO