Monday, April 28, 2008

Sleep? Hello?

I don't even know when it began, or why, for that matter, but it appears as if sleep and I are no longer in cahoots. Night after night I wake up between 8 and 10 times at various hours, sometimes for lengths at a time. Last night I was awake from 4-4:30. The hours at which I stir are seemingly random, my body seems impartial to odd and even numbers, whole and half hours, quarters to or after. What I am suffering from here is a serious lack of deep sleep, actual rest - and it is taking its toll. I had a mental breakdown in the grocery store the other day because I couldn't find the flat leaf parsley or mint. This enraged me for the following reasons:
(keep in mind that I was irrationally angry)
1. How dare they only have curly leaf parsley - as if I can cook anything with such a bastard herb. I don't work at Red Lobster.
2. I come all the way to the grocery store for something as simple as mint and flat leaf parsley and these MOTHERFUCKERS can't even give me what I need. (yeah - who's insane?)
3. Why is there so much dill and summer savoury? Who could ever use so much goddamn dill?

My rage quickly spiralled into tears, right there, in front of the dill. In front of other rational people hopped up on REM sleep. The injustice.

I've thought about this lack of sleep and can't come up with a reasonable explanation. I don't have a stressful job to keep me awake at nights, nor do I have a pack of babies demanding food and attention around the clock. I don't live under a bowling alley or next to a shooting range. Last time I checked this was Montreal and not Baghdad, no blitzkriegs here either. So what's the deal then?

I am going to see my accupuncturist tomorrow in search of a solution to my dilemma. Maybe she'll poke loose whatever is blocking my potential restful sleep. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Shu-Ming will fix you good Pretty.

Unknown said...

So happy to have another blog post to read!!!

Now go to bed.

Good Luxemburg tomorrow!!!!!!