Friday, March 7, 2008

Weather

Yes, I know I am the quintessential Canadian by posting on weather - but this bears mentioning. So far, Montreal has received what can only be called a shitload of snow. A metric shitload, to be exact. So much so that we are expected to break the record of 373cm set in 1971. I think we're at about 330cm right now with a good solid month of winter left so it stands to reason that the 1971 record is on its way out.
Tomorrow we are due for another snow storm, which means lots more people bitching about being cooped up in their houses and unable to drive. Personally, I enjoy a good storm. Anything that takes a bustling metropolis and brings it to its knees is something I can get down with. I think we often forget that nature is indeed a force to be reckoned with and all our fancy technology and opposable thumbs really mean nada in the face of the elements.
However, even I am blown away by what's on its way. Tomorrow we are due to receive 50cm of snow. That's right - FIFTY. Which means we will most likely break the record. Which means, and this really astounds me, that this will be the snowiest winter of my lifetime. And I'm not that young either - 30 winters all leading up to this point.
But 50cm - has sort of an apocalyptic feel to it, no? What's next? Horsemen? Locusts?
Now, all I need are a few good movies and some warm bodies to hunker down in front of the fire with.
Who's in?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

fire and movies and you?

ya, im down.

PS: the fifty has been downgraded to 30, but we can still pretend.

Anonymous said...

In if I was there, maybe there will still be snow in May?

What's the exact measurement on a metric shitload? Or are you jsut acting like other bloggers and makin' up your own language?
Pretentious.....:)

Hilary said...

pretentious....pfff.

you go ahead and hide behind your mask of anonymity.