Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Tonight's Dinner

Yellow fin tuna crusted in a parsley, kaffir lime leaf, mint, chili and ginger rub scorched on the bbq served with bbqed eggplant and fresh asparagus from Trois Rivieres.
Yes, it was a sumptuous feast - somewhat tempered by the fact that I ate it alone at my dining room table. I just can't seem to push through the fact that eating along is pitiful. It's a visual right up there with walking home alone in the rain. I wish I could get over this stigma as making sure I eat out with other people is taking its toll on my pocket book.
I want to cook at home and eat dinner at my dining room table like normal people. Yet in the absence of a dining companion I generally ask the television or the internet to join me. It feels less pitiful but I know it's just a band-aid, a temporary balm for my dining alone dilemma.
Oh yes. The cats want to join, they long to fan their tails alongside my plate of tuna, my locally sourced greens. My sauvignon blanc is their sauvignon blanc, n'est pas?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have always been happy eating at home alone...

Until now.

Thank-youuuuuu.

Michelle said...

I'm just amazed that you had the will to cook that meal for yourself! I love cooking, but only when it's for other people - otherwise I poke at leftovers or have a PB & J. So my only solution is to invite friends over; at least it's cheaper than eating out...